Friday, February 18, 2011

Stockyards

Well, today was the trip to the Stockyards. This is where animals (in today's case, beef cattle), are sold at auction. I was really nervous for this trip because I wasn't sure what to expect. Basically, the entire 20 minutes we sat there, cows were brought out onto the auction floor and sold to the highest bidder. The first few auctions were really difficult for me to watch. Not because there was any outward or grotesque abuse going on (besides the complete and total disrespect for the animal), but because the cows were terrified. And an overwhelming feeling of helplessness shot through me every time they'd stare out into the audience. Sad to say, but after about 10 minutes of that I just kind of numbed up. At one point these two cows came to the floor. They both had noticeable eye issues. Possibly cancer, we weren't sure. Bidding started low and ended at $20. Twenty lousy dollars. I had a $20 bill in my purse. What a joke. It's just really hard to see these amazing, beautiful, and intelligent beings reduced to that. Treated as if they were NOTHING. And then it's even more disheartening to look around at the people involved. Just doing what generations before them did. Living in this cowboy culture. Brought up to view cows, pigs, chickens etc. in terms of dollars. How can you change that? Is it wrong to WANT to change that? Oh so many questions. Mostly I wonder: What is the most effective way to bring about change?

I was really glad that this morning I had a little time with Oliver and Elliot. I'm not sure if it made it easier or harder. But every time I saw one of the auction cows I thought of them. I thought, if given the opportunity, would that cow respond to a chin rub with an outstretched neck and joyful eyes, just as Elliot had this morning,? I think yes. And that just makes it sadder. But I'm so glad that places like Farm Sanctuary exist and that Oliver, Elliot, and all the other wonderful animals are here as educational ambassadors.

 Elliot

No comments:

Post a Comment