Friday, February 11, 2011

Romeo Aka: Mr. Cranky Pants.

Oh my goodness. Tonight I closed and Romeo was throwing all sorts of goose attitude my way! He actually tore up my closing sheet! I'm so exhausted! When you close you pretty much just make sure everyone gets into their hutches/barns and you have to count to make sure everyone is accounted for. It's just difficult because you are working against the sun and only have so much time before it gets dark. I definitely prefer opening. I'd rather wake up at the butt crack of dawn to happy animals as opposed to trying to put pissed off geese in a hutch!

Other things that I did today: Shadowed PM meds. It was really interesting to do this because you learn so much about the individual animals and the different ailments they are dealing with. Several of the larger animals suffer from arthritis and are on pain medications, while others have sores that need to be tended to daily.

We also had our Ed Lunch today where we discussed different forms of activism. I don't have a lot of experience with animal activism so there was much to be learned. I kind of felt a bit overloaded on information today...not because it was a lot, or stuff I haven't heard before, but just because I still don't know where I place myself in this activism. I know I'll never be a smooth talking activist. My brain just doesn't work fast enough for that. But I could see myself tabling, and leafleting possibly. Maybe even letter writing. I just feel a bit dense on animal issues still. Another thing is I understand how easy it is to look away...to ignore something because it seems to big to fight, or because it's more comfortable to just stick with what you've always done. I love animals with all my heart. And watching awful videos of the abuse that farmed animals especially have to endure upsets me greatly. But how do you communicate that to other people? I guess I get a bit overwhelmed with the idea. That was a bit of a tangent. Anyways, Sophia also made us an awesome lunch of barbecued tofurkey, a jicama and avocado blend, and salad. And cookies for dessert! It was so yummy!

That was the day....sorry these updates are getting crappier and crappier! Hopefully on my next day off I will be able to sit and really reflect on the week!

1 comment:

  1. I really hope you stick out the activism. I may not 100% agree with your politics, and I know I don't really agree with animal rights movements (I am, however, all about animal wellfare, and think that treating our animals ethically is critical), but I think it's important to do whatever you can to help champion causes that are important to you. I recommend you read up on ethics philosophy and (possibly) economics, because these are the two area that I'd imagine would be essential to forming debates--even if those debate are only in letters to state reps. or on fliers.

    ReplyDelete