Saturday, February 5, 2011

Opening, Hay Feeds, and Waters Oh My!

Another gorgeous day on the farm. I opened again and I'm semi starting to get the hang of it. After open I gathered more eggs and hard boiled them, did some laundry, and helped with hay feeds. Hay feeds were a lot of fun. We started out with the sheep and just dumped piles of food here and there for them. Ian is my favorite sheep I think. Even before we were dumping the food out he was all up in our business hahah! We then went up to the main herd of cattle at tried to coax Valentino out of the current pasture into a different one so he could be fed a special diet. He was not having it! I was patting his rear end and Mike, the caregiver, was holding a bowl of food. He walked a few feet but wouldn't follow us the rest of the way. I also met Cupid out there too...a cute Holstein. He was very excited about the hay in the back of the truck. He was taking huge mouthfuls of it because he knew we were driving away soon!

Before lunch I spent my time in the geriatric cow pasture cutting hunks of grass to feed to the Rescue Barn pigs...which includes Ramona :) And after lunch I cleaned waters...which took forever! But it was nice because you get to be around all the animals. The turkey girls still hate me for the record. You know that bit of fat on the back of your arm? Hurts like a mother when a turkey takes a bite at that! Or the backs of your knees! I still love them though. They are so talkative! And, I never saw "The Birds" but I feel like the turkey girls would have been perfect in that film. When I bent down to do all the waters 3 of them surrounded me, pecking and making their turkey noises...kind of freaky!

One more day and then I have the day off. I can't wait because I'm really going to get to walk around the farm and get to know the animals better! Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment