Thursday, February 3, 2011

Full Day!

*happy sigh* Have I mentioned that I love this place? Today was my first full day on the farm and I started out getting trained on how to open up the place and let all the animals out. (I do that tomorrow by myself...scary!) Then I helped barn clean which is basically raking up all the old hay and laying down new. I had a little time to hang with Elliot and Oliver, two calves that live in the rescue barn behind where the vegan house is, in between tasks. Later we were shown around specific barns and told which animals to watch for...like Calvin. The coolest looking pig ever. He looks so sweet because his tongue hangs out of his mouth but he gets a bit nippy so you have to watch your backside :) And Ramona! The pig that Trisha and I adopted a year ago! Apparently she likes to try and sneak out on you.

I finished off the day with raking one of the sheep pastures that is kind of on a hill. Every now and then I'd look up and get a sudden urge to throw down my rake and belt out "THE HILLS ARE ALIVE...WITH THE SOUND OF MUUUUUSIC" Don't worry, I resisted. But it's soooo beautiful here! We had a few minutes before we had to be off the shelter and I really wanted to go hang out with Hank, one of the senior cows, but he was grazing far off in the distance. So instead I went and hung out with Elliot and Oliver again. It's been a wonderful day, and now we are going to close it with Vegan chinese food in Chico!!! I'm so excited! And starving!

No pictures today, but expect a ton on my next day off!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment