Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Uncharted

It's going to probably be a two post kind of day. I woke up early this morning and was super excited because Sara Bareilles's new music video for Uncharted was being released. Sadly, I was kind of disappointed in the video. I love the concept behind it and Sara's commentary, but it was a miss for me. What does this have to do with interning at Farm Sanctuary you ask? Well, her recent cd, and more importantly the song "Uncharted" was pretty much my mantra while out of a job, completely broke and totally hating my life. All I knew was I wanted to really do something that I was passionate about whether it made me money or not, because finding a job to just "have a job" seemed so meaningless and depressing. I remember sitting in Brewed Awakenings, doing nothing with my life, angry with myself for giving up my only independent source of income. I think I'd lost any hope in doing something I really loved with my life. I started filling out job applications for cleaning services, fast food joints, gyms, the temp agency, and grocery stores. At this point I'd been out of a job for around 7 months and my bank account was begging me to grow up. So, I was filling this crap out, beboppin' to Sara's new cd, Kaleidoscope Heart. And Uncharted came on in the mix. There were so many inspiring moments in this song. Most notably: "Compare where you are to where you wanna be and you'll get nowhere". I do that all the time...and not only that, I also look at where everyone else is in their life compared to where I am. That's a recipe for disaster.  I kind of took that entire song to heart. And amidst all my crappy applications I decided to fill out the intern application for Farm Sanctuary for the second time. Because THAT is really what I wanted to do. Forget that I didn't have any money and there was no way I'd be able to fund an unpaid internship. That's what uncharted is about...going for it. Being "scared shitless" as Sara so eloquently puts it :) Anyways, so I guess the rest is history. But between filling out the app and actually getting the internship there was a lot of self doubt and wonder about whether or not I'd have to give up on a dream purely for the sake of money. "Everybody has to get their hands on gold, and I want Uncharted." I still have no clue what I'm doing with myself after this internship...that's the uncharted part. And yes, I'm a little scared about that, but I feel that if getting this internship was possible so is whatever else I decide to do. So, that's why this song is relevant to the internship. Here's a performance of Uncharted that I really love:



And you can click here to see the official video. While I didn't like the video, I really loved what Sara had to say about it and I'll leave you with that.

"This video is about my journey as an artist who looks up to the people around them. This is about being a fan of people who take chances, who are fearless, who have integrity, and go off into the world saying yes to what's around them."

No comments:

Post a Comment