Friday, March 18, 2011

Just Say No!

I hate role playing conversations with all of my being. It's probably one of my least favorite things to do, next to vomiting. It just always takes me back to the elementary school D.A.R.E program. I remember having to stand up in front of the whole class and turn down marijuana, beer, and other "gateways to evil" all while ridden with complete anxiety that everyone was looking at me. Besides that, it just feels stupid. I mean if I HAVE to have a conversation with someone, I'd rather it be a real one. But I understand how helpful role playing can be. It's great to practice before you speak. We did this at Ed Lunch today. Practiced answers to questions we are constantly being asked as vegans. I need a whole hell of a lot of practice that's for sure :) But what is frustrating is I know the answers to these stupid questions like "Well what about plants!? Don't plants have feelings?" but there is some mental block that goes up the second I'm put on the spot. My whole mind erases! Soooo annoying. Anyways though, I think I learn really well by hearing others responses. The more I hear it over and over the better I am at remembering and eventually communicating. Anyways, I've also found a few books online I want to get that deal specifically with vegan activism and how to tactfully answer some of the tougher questions. It's just frustrating to feel so passionately about something and feel completely unable to communicate it effectively.  I think I'll look into Toastmasters when this internship is over. Just thinking about that makes me want to hurl, but I feel way too old to have an issue with public speaking. Isn't this something you are suppose to grow out of?

Anyways, this morning I helped with the sheep again. And one in particular named Emmett. Which made me smile because my dog's name is Emmett :) Then I helped Leanne trim Kanbar's hoof (one of the goats). She was super sweet. I pretty much just had to hold her head while she was getting trimmed and Noel and Squishy (two of the tinier goats) kept coming up to sniff and nibble on my jacket. I love those guys! I then drove a goose to the vet for a quick visit and then picked up feed at the feed store. 

This blog post is brought to you today by Calvin:

No music necessary....this guy is just pure awesome all by himself:


No comments:

Post a Comment