Wednesday, March 16, 2011

C'mon cows! Let's Mooooove!

I opened this morning, and as usual, it was a delight. My first stop was the rescue barn. Here are housed the turkey girls, rescue pigs and a couple Iso Sheep...so imagine my surprise when I walked in and was greeted by several "Moooooos"! I'm still not exactly sure why there were cattle in there. I think the barn had been opened up for them because it was raining last night. Anyways, it set the tone for the day. Tomorrow is the second round of cattle health care so we had to move the herd closer to the Cattle Barn. All 26 of them. Mike and I took the mule out to the pasture and began calling to them "C'mon cows!" this is a phrase they respond to best and clapping. Mario and Linus led the way and most followed, taking frequent snack breaks along the way. There were only about 5 lingerers so we worked with them one on one. Offering pellets, giving little behind pats and showing them the way. It was really cute to watch the heard that had already headed to the other pastures call out to the slower ones. We got everyone all set up and ready and out of the pasture....and then there was....El Nino. I really wish I had a picture of this guy (putting it on my to do list for my day off). He is HUGE. Biggest guy of the herd. And he was not budging from his spot. I showed him pellets, even let him have a few and he started shaking his head (that's cow talk for back the heck up lady!). Once Nino saw that the rest of the heard was no where near him he got a bit confused and started calling out to everyone and trying to find a way out. We led him back to the gate. That sounds way easier than it was. In total it took about an hour to get him on the right path, but once we did he was happy to rejoin the herd. And now, I'm super tired from clapping my hands and saying "C'mon Nino!" But it was a great day! I love any time I get to spend with the cattle because I don't feel like I get to hang with them all too often. And the more I hang out with them the easier it is to see how they communicate with each other and with humans. It really is such an awesome experience, looking into the eyes of a cow. They are soooo beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment